AZBio Board of Directors
President and CEO
Joel E. Barthelemy, President and CEO of Arizona-based GlobalMed has a vision of quality, timely care for all through connected health. He was elected to the AZBio Board of Directors in November of 2014.
Barthelemy has spent 13 of his 25+ years in the technology industry focused on the development of connected health systems. He and his team developed the first lightweight, true HD video examination camera and the first cloud-based Image Management Exchange for Telemedicine. He continues to drive the transformation of healthcare globally, by developing and integrating secure, efficient health delivery systems that improve access and quality of care, while eliminating unnecessary costs.
Barthelemy actively inspires the design and implementation of effective, high functioning innovation engines that simplify the care delivery process within government, clinical and commercial settings, including military and veterans’ administration organizations, correctional facilities, hospital systems, clinics and urgent care, teaching facilities, sports medicine, and corporate wellness programs.
Under Barthelemy’s leadership, GlobalMed has improved the delivery of healthcare in over 55 countries, has designed the system that has help to deliver 1.7 million consults to US veterans in 2013 (the largest deployment of Telemedicine in the world), and has been recognized as an outstanding innovator, community advocate, and a high-growth company. Recent awards include:
- Modern HealthcareMagazine: Hottest Healthcare Companies, #3
- 500 Fastest Growing Private Companies: #436 Overall, #36 Healthcare
- Greater Phoenix Chamber of Commerce: Impact Award
- Better Business Bureau: Ethics Award
- Deloitte Technology: Fast 500, #58 Overall, #2 Medical Devices
- Modern HealthcareMagazine: Hottest Healthcare Companies, #2
- 500 Fastest Growing Private Companies: #95 Overall, #7 Healthcare
- ASU W.P. Carey School of Business: Spirit of Enterprise Award
- Greater Phoenix Chamber of Commerce: Best Places to Work in Arizona
- Ernst & Young: Entrepreneur of the Year Award, Desert Region
- 500 Fastest Growing Private Companies: #300 Overall, #21 Healthcare
Active in our community and industry, Barthelemy currently sits on the board of Paradise Valley Christian Preparatory. He is an Ambassador to the Veterans Medical Leadership Council and is a board advisor for SEE4Vets. Past advisory positions include board membership with the American Telemedicine Association (ATA), Chair of the ATA’s Industry Council, and board membership with the Visual Communications Industry Group. Barthelemy and GlobalMed give back to the community through generous commitments to programs like Toys for Tots, the Jennifer Lopez Family Foundation, Blanket the City, the Wounded Warrior Project, the Diaper Bank of Central Arizona, the American Heart Association, and the United Blood Services Blood Drive.
Barthelemy attended St. Cloud State University in Minnesota and received an honorable discharge as a non-commissioned officer from the United States Marine Corp Reserves in 1987.