As Arizona’s Statewide Bioscience Industry Association, AZBio works with our elected leaders to educate and inform on the key issues that will help to make Arizona a Top-Tier Bioscience State and works across our community to support our members, our industry, our healthcare partners, and patient advocacy organizations.
Each year, AZBio publishes its Policy Initiatives as approved by the AZBio Board of Directors.
Click the link to view the AZBio Government Affairs Policy 2018
AZBio is supported at the State Capitol by our contract lobbyists at Dorn Policy Group.
The 2018 AZBio Watch List
The following bills and budget items are being monitored by the AZBio Government Affairs Team during Arizona’s 53rd Legislature – 2nd Regular Session in 2018.
Friday, February 16, 2018 – Last Day to Hear SBs in Senate and HBs in House
Friday, March 23, 2018 – Last Day to Hear SBs in House Committees and HBs in Senate Committees
Friday, April 13, 2018 – Last day for consideration of bills in Conference Committees –
Saturday, April 21, 2018 – Adjournment sine die – regular sessions shall be adjourned sine die no later than the Saturday of the week in which the 100th day (April 17) of session falls. (The Speaker and the President may extend the session for a period not to exceed seven additional days. Thereafter, the session can be extended only by a majority vote of the Members.
Active Bills at the 53rd Legislature – 2nd Regular Session (2018)
The list below highlights bills that pertain to our areas of focus. As these bills progress, our positions to support, monitor, or oppose will be added. All AZBio Members have the option to add bills to the Watch List. To do so, email AZBio.
|HB2042||insurance coverage; telemedicine; urology – Support – passed H. Health – pending Rules|
|HB2084||indoor tanning; minors; restricted use – Support – passed H. Health – pending Rules|
|HB2085||schools; emergency epinephrine administration – Passed House|
|HB2086||schools; diabetes management policies; pharmacists – Support – Passed House|
|HB2087||family caregiver income tax credit. – Support – Pending House Floor Vote|
|HB2088||pupils; concussions; parental notification – Support – Passed House|
|HB2107||prescription drug costs; patient notification – Monitor – Pending House Rules|
|HB2127||children’s health insurance program – Support – Passed House|
|HB2167||Arizona commerce authority; continuation; requirements – Support – Passed House|
|HB2280||universities; lease-back financing – Oppose – Pending H. Rules|
|HB2323||schools; inhalers; contracted nurses – Support – Passed House|
|HB2377||teachers’ school supplies; tax credit – Support – Pending H. Rules|
|HB2448||appropriation; drug research and development – Monitor -Pending H. Approps|
|HB2450||genetic testing information; confidentiality; exceptions – Monitor – Pending H. Rules|
|HB2479||TPT; digital goods and services – Monitor – Pending H. Rules|
|HB2494||appropriation; Maricopa community colleges; STEM – Support – Pending H. Approps|
|HB2513||hyperbaric oxygen therapy; veterans; fund – Monitor – Pending H. Approps|
|HB2558||drug disposal; education – Support – Pending H. Rules|
|HCR2006||four-year terms; legislature – Support – Pending H. Rules|
Bills that did not progress
Bills must be heard in the originating chamber by February 16,2018. Additional time is given to appropriations bills.
- HB2158 TPT; additional rate; education – Support – Not heard in H. Ways and Means by 2/16
- HB2202 pharmacy benefits managers; pharmacies; practices – Monitor – Not heard in H. Health
- HB2252 schools; concussions; health care provider
- HB2350 JTEDs; 9th grade; workforce need – Monitor – Not heard in H. Education
- HB2443 medical services purchase; premiums – Monitor – Not heard in H. Health
- HB2525 JTEDs; fourth year funding – Monitor – Not heard in H. Education
- HB2541 health insurance; contraceptives – Monitor – Not heard in H. Banking and Insurance
- HB2646 appropriation; STEM internships – Support – Not scheduled in H. Approps
- SB1013 laetrile; prohibition – Monitor – Not Heard in S. HHS
- SB1019 tax credits; sunset – Monitor – Not heard in S. Finance
- SB1026 JTEDs; ninth graders; funding. – Monitor – Not heard in S. Education
- SB1027 JTEDs; entrepreneurship programs; review exemption – Monitor – Not heard in S. Education
- SB1115 insurance coverage; abuse-deterrent opioids – Not heard in S. HHS
- SB1184 state compact; temporary professional licenses – Monitor – Held in S. Gov
- SB1330 appropriations; STEM and workforce programs Not heard in S. Education
- SB1369 large electronics; recycling – Monitor – Not heard in S. NREW
- SB1390 TPT; additional rate; education – Support – Not heard in S. Finance
- SB1391 schools; suicide prevention training – Support – Not heard in S. Education
- SB1414 terminally ill; care choices – Monitor – Not heard is S. HHS
- SB1491 JTEDs; funding; ninth graders – Monitor – Not heard in S. Education