AZBio Legislative Watch List for 2020
As Arizona’s Statewide Bioscience Industry Association, AZBio works with our elected leaders to educate and inform on the key issues that will help to make Arizona a Top-Tier Bioscience State and works across our community to support our members, our industry, our healthcare partners, and patient advocacy organizations.
Each year, AZBio publishes its Policy Initiatives as approved by the AZBio Board of Directors.
Click the link to view the AZBio Government Affairs Policy for 2020
AZBio is supported at the State Capitol by our contract lobbyists at Dorn Policy Group.
- Monday 1/13 – Session Begins
- Thursday 1/16 – House 7-bill Introduction Limit Begins at 5:00 p.m.
- Tuesday 1/21* – Senate Bill Request Deadline (5:00 p.m.)
- Monday 1/27 – Senate Bill Intro Set Preparation Deadline (5:00 p.m.)
- Monday 2/3 – Senate Bill Introduction Deadline (5:00 p.m.)
- Friday 2/7** – House Bill Request Deadline (5:00 p.m.)
- Monday 2/10 – House Bill Introduction Deadline (5:00 p.m.)
- Friday 2/21 – Last Day to Hear SBs in Senate Committees / Last Day to Hear HBs in House Committees
- Friday 3/27 Last Day to Hear SBs in House Committees / Last Day to Hear HBs in Senate Committees
- Saturday 4/18 Last Day for Conference Committees (By Senate and House Rule)
- Tuesday 4/21 100th Day of Session
* 1/20/20 Martin Luther King, Jr./Civil Rights Day
** Extended by the Speaker pursuant to Legislative Council Rule 28
Saturday, April 25, 2020 – Adjournment sine die – regular sessions shall be adjourned sine die no later than the Saturday of the week in which the 100th day (April 21) of session falls. (The Speaker and the President may extend the session for a period not to exceed seven additional days. Thereafter, the session can be extended only by a majority vote of the Members.
Active Bills at the 54th Legislature – 2nd Regular Session (2020)
The list below highlights bills that pertain to our areas of focus. As these bills progress, our positions to support, monitor, or oppose will be added. All AZBio Members have the option to add bills to the Watch List. To do so, email AZBio.
This list will be updated as new bills are introduced.
HCR2013 consumer data; privacy; federal standard – SUPPORT
HB2002 student apprenticeship program; tax credits – SUPPORT
HB2019 CTEDs; nonprofits; postsecondary institutions; agreements – SUPPORT
HB2020 ABOR; tuition; actual cost; deduction
HB2050 schools; immunizations; parental control – OPPOSED
HB2071 Lyme disease treatment
HB2072 mental health professionals; loan repayment – SUPPORT
HB2083 electronic smoking devices; restrictions; use – SUPPORT
HB2091 indoor tanning; minors; restricted use – SUPPORT
HB2269 donated medicine; requirements
HB2420 insurance; prescription drugs; step therapy – SUPPORT
HB2432 newborn screenings; report – Support
HB2486 immunizations; requirements; exemption – OPPOSE
HB2489 CTEDs; nonprofits; postsecondary institutions; agreements. – SUPPORT
HB2532 prior authorization; uniform request form – SUPPORT
HB2536 telemedicine; health care providers – SUPPORT
HB2629 TPT; exemption; pacemakers
HB2667 appropriation; Washington D.C. internships – SUPPORT
SB1057 Lyme; vector-borne diseases; treatment
SCR1002 education; TPT; use tax – SUPPORT
SB1059 TPT; use tax; education – SUPPORT
SB1152 medical student loan program – SUPPORT
SB1166 appropriation; STEM internships – SUPPORT
Bills that did not progress
Bills must be heard in the originating chamber by February 21, 2020 and in the second chamber by March 27, 2020. Additional time is given to appropriations bills and for rules.