Biozona is the brand identity for Arizona’s growing bioscience sector. The Biozona name, symbol, and tagline—”Advancing Science. Enhancing Life.”—promote Arizona as a place where science thrives for the benefit of all.
Why was the Biozona brand created?
Arizona has internationally competitive assets in the biosciences and, through its collaborative, statewide plan, Arizona is growing its bioscience base more quickly than perhaps any other state. Yet, the state previously lacked a prominent identity in the biosciences. This is essential to strengthen in-state education and awareness efforts, market to out-of-state audiences, and present the collaborative strengths of statewide institutions and programs.
Arizona’s Bioscience Roadmap recommended in 2002 that the state needed to develop a creative identity for its bioscience sector. This recommendation has been repeated by numerous statewide bioscience leaders since then.
What is the philosophy behind the design?
- Strategy: The Biozona logo projects a fresh, contemporary image that sets it apart from the more overworked and literal images (e.g., a DNA double helix) used by most states.
- Name: Short and memorable, the name “Biozona” combines “Bioscience” and “Arizona” readily evoking the desired association.
- Tagline: The tagline positions “Biozona” as a place where scientific innovation thrives for a greater purpose—to enhance the quality of life of Arizona’s citizens.
- Symbol: The sunlight refracting over the state represents an enlightening, thriving area. The overlapping circular shapes suggest molecular structure and activity. The colors are consistent with sunlight and Southwest tones.
Who created Biozona?
Biozona is the result of a collaborative effort by a network of communications and marketing officials from more than 35 organizations integrally involved in the biosciences in Arizona. Efforts were coordinated with the Governor’s Council on Innovation and Technology to ensure cohesiveness with the council’s current plans for branding Arizona’s high-tech sector. Initial efforts to develop a bioscience identity were undertaken by a collaborative group, led by Governor’s office, in 2004.
How can the Biozona logo be used?
The developers of the logo encourage its use to represent collaborative efforts by statewide organizations involved in the biosciences. Examples: collateral material, PowerPoint presentations, fact sheets, Web sites, trade-show banners, promotional items, and advertisements. Individual institutions are encouraged to display the logo on presentation materials to illustrate their participation in a greater whole.
For more information:
- Use of Biozona brandby your organization
- Arizona BioBasics(for history, lingo, organizations, and FAQs on the biosciences in Arizona)
- Arizona’s Bioscience Roadmap
- Fact Sheeton Arizona’s bioscience industry
- Sign up for monthly E-mail Newsletter
- Biosciences Calendar(add/review your bio-related events)
- Bio Directory(add/update your organization’s profile)
- Email JMcPherson@flinn.orgto schedule a speaker for your organization
- Arizona BioIndustry Association Web site
The original content on this page was compiled and contributed by the Flinn Foundation