As part of its ongoing efforts to strengthen Arizona’s Bioscience and Medtech Entrepreneurial Ecosystem, AZBio encourages qualified applicants to apply to join our team as a Bioscience Entrepreneur-in-Residence (EIR).
Location: Phoenix Metro or an approved remote location
Organization Name: Arizona Bioindustry Association, Inc. (AZBio)
AZBIO seeks one or more Entrepreneurs-in-Residence (EIRs) on a part-time basis to encourage technology commercialization and the establishment and growth of Arizona biomedical companies. The EIR will serve as a coach and mentor to company founders and management in key start-up activities. The EIR should have significant experience in biomedical sciences, including at least ten years managerial experience with companies focused on drug discovery, health care IT, medical devices and/or diagnostics.
The EIR will work with AZBio’s President & CEO, Entrepreneur Program Manager and volunteers to participate in entrepreneurial education programs and mentoring services; as well as outreach.
The EIR will be specifically tasked with mentoring individuals, teams and companies to result in growth of the companies in Arizona. Services required may include:
- Advising on startup company formation, organization, personnel and financing strategy.
- Identifying most promising market applications and business development strategy.
- Assisting with recruiting, interview and selection of company officers, advisory board and key employees.
- Assisting with industry/investor networking, business planning and investor presentations.
- Keep complete and accurate records of activities and interactions with supported bioscience entrepreneurs in a format approved by AZBio as required by reporting requirements under AZBio’s grant obligations.
- Advanced degree in biomedical science, business, law or other field along with at least ten years successful experience in development of biomedical products and/or companies.
- Strong leadership experience, including strategic planning and mentoring skills.
- Entrepreneurial mindset; founder and fundraising experience a plus.
- Additional experience in finance, accounting, marketing or related field preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical and organizational skills.
- Ability to work in, and adjust to, a growing and dynamic environment and working with multiple technologies/companies at the same time.
- Strong writing/communication skills and ability to draft business documents.
- Attention to detail is essential.
Who we are:
A key component in Arizona’s life science ecosystem, the Arizona Bioindustry Association (AZBio) is the only statewide organization exclusively focused on Arizona’s bioscience industry. AZBio membership includes patient advocacy organizations, life science innovators, educators, healthcare partners and leading business organizations. AZBio is the statewide affiliate of the Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO) and works in partnership with AdvaMed, MDMA, and PhRMA to advance innovation and to ensure that the value delivered from life-changing and life-saving innovation benefits people in Arizona and around the world.
Arizona’s bioscience industry is growing rapidly and reached nearly 30,000 jobs spanning 2,160 business establishments in 2018. Industry employment has grown by 15 percent since 2016—twice the growth rate of the nation—with each of the five major subsectors adding jobs during the period. Arizona’s universities conducted nearly $580 million in R&D activities in bioscience-related fields in 2018, fueled in part by steadily increasing NIH awards to Arizona institutions since 2016. Venture capital investments in Arizona bioscience companies increased in 2019, and during the 2016-19 period totaled $349 million. Arizona inventors have been awarded 2,178 bioscience-related patents since 2016, among the second quintile of states in patent activity.
AZBio is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
AZBio considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or status as a protected veteran in accordance with federal law and other state and local requirements. AZBio complies with applicable state and local laws prohibiting discrimination in employment and provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals in accordance with the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) and applicable state and local laws.
This position is supported as part of AZBio’s Arizona Bioscience Cluster Sustainable Seed Fund Project: EDA Grant# ED19HDQ0200013
Learn more at: