Participants at the virtual summit included invited leaders from 45 biotech and pharmaceutical companies, global experts in virology and immunology, and government officials, including Ambassador Deborah Birx and Dr. Robert Kadlec, who provided great insights with regards to the government’s coronavirus effort.
Video Recap by Jim Greenwood
President & CEO, Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO)
Jim Greenwood, President & CEO of the Biotechnology Innovation Organization recaps the 2-day virtual BIO Coronavirus Collaboration Initiative Summit, bringing together 45 biotech innovators working on vaccines, therapeutics, and diagnostics to combat the coronavirus
Opening Plenary Session
The Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO) brought together 45 biotech innovators, government agencies, and leading academics to share information about their work to fight the coronavirus.
Panelist’s for the plenary session included:
- Ambassador Deborah Birx, MD, Coronavirus response Coordinator for the White House Coronavirus Task Force
- Robert Kadlec, MD, Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (ASPR), Department of Health and Human Services
- Richard Whitley, MD, Distinguished Professor of Pediatrics, Vice Chair of the Department of Pediatrics, and Co-Division Director of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Susan Gerber, MD, Chief, Respiratory Viruses Branch, Division of Viral Diseases, National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Rick Bright, PhD, Director, Biomedical Advanced Research & Development Authority (BARDA), Department of Health and Human Services – Douglas Bryce, Joint Program Executive Officer, Joint Program Executive Office for Chemical, Biological, Radiological, and Nuclear Defense (JPEO-CBRND), Department of Defense (DOD)
- Nicole Lurie, MD, MSPH Strategic Advisor to the CEO, Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI)
- John Mascola, MD, Director, Dale & Betty Bumpers Vaccine Research Center, National Institute of Allergy & Infectious Diseases (NIAID), National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Julie Tierney, JD, Chief of Staff, CBER, FDA
For more information visit: http://www.bio.org/coronavirus