Critical Path Institute is a large multi-disciplinary scientific non-profit organization focused on accelerating the development of new therapies. CAMD is dedicated to Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease. The Senior Project Manager works in close partnership with the CAMD Executive Director to provide operational and project management excellence for C-Path and affiliates’ virtual working groups to advance drug development tools and therapies to treat brain diseases. Additionally, the Sr. Project Manager will be responsible for ensuring that the Parkinson’s team meets the requirements of the grants which fund this work.
Job Title: Senior Project Manager
Department: Critical Path Institute
Reports to: Executive Director CAMD
FLSA Status: Full-time; Exempt
Location: Tucson, AZ
Job Purpose Summary: Critical Path Institute is a large multi-disciplinary scientific non-profit organization focused on accelerating the development of new therapies. CAMD is dedicated to Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease. The Senior Project Manager works in close partnership with the CAMD Executive Director to provide operational and project management excellence for C-Path and affiliates’ virtual working groups to advance drug development tools and therapies to treat brain diseases. Additionally, the Sr. Project Manager will be responsible for ensuring that the Parkinson’s team meets the requirements of the grants which fund this work.
The Sr. Project Manager will be responsible for supporting and managing the work of multiple, inter-disciplinary teams as well as serve as a catalyst to recruit external sub-stakeholders. Success in this role will require strong project and budget management, professional communication, and facilitation/negotiation skills. A strong track record of successful inter-disciplinary project management as well as direct communication skills are a must.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to independently problem solve, manage in a matrix working environment, and influence for positive outcomes. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to be successful. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
Project Management Excellence:
- Develop and provide strategic oversight and implementation of project plans that advance internal and external project teams work scopes, while providing day-to-day oversight and logistical support to ensure milestones and long-term successes are reached.
- Drive successful execution of project timelines and deliverables; forecast for change and take proactive or corrective action when needed.
- Manage projects through all phases of the project lifecycle to ensure the projects achieve stated objectives.
- Ensure relevant project and contract budgets are correctly estimated and managed to deliver projected outcomes within the approved budgets.
- Negotiate and execute data use and project-specific agreements with current and prospective C-Path and CAMD collaborators.
- Plan, develop agendas for and facilitate dynamic and, at times, conceptually complex, virtual work group meetings.
- Initiate and conduct regular status meetings with internal and external project teams.
- Ensure project documents and plans are kept current, complete, and stored appropriately.
Leadership and Operational Excellence:
- Lead and manage internal and external teams as assigned.
- Ensure the completion of all programmatic, legal and financial obligations under the project agreements. Specifically, manage budget and performance of multiple sub-awardees and ensure alignment with grant requirements.
- Provide operational excellence by creating and executing project work plans using Microsoft Project and revise regularly to meet changing needs and requirements.
- Develop agendas for internal and external meetings and draft action-oriented and decision-based meeting minutes.
- Collaborate with internal C-Path project managers to achieve program outcomes.
- Develop and foster good working relations among CAMD industry member participants, federal liaisons, academic and private researchers, foundation representatives, and C-Path colleagues. Ability to work in a matrixed environment critical.
- Plan and conduct communications during the project to ensure stakeholders are involved, expectations are effectively established, conveyed and managed; ensure key stakeholders receive regular communications throughout the project lifecycle, including internal team members.
- Coordinate the preparation of documents submitted to the FDA, EMA (European Medicines Agency), or other regulatory agencies. Monitor the progress of regulatory review.
- Maintain as confidential proprietary information in accordance with consortia legal agreements.
- Facilitate consensus among stakeholders on key decisions.
- Prepare, facilitate, and provide regular updates (e.g., engaging, succinct, informative and well-organized presentations) to internal and external stakeholders.
- Write concise and accurate reports, proposals, and other supporting materials as requested and assigned.
- Define and track project plan action items, prepare and disseminate meeting minutes, and effectively follow up.
- Update membership rosters and keep contact information up to date in conjunction with the Program Coordinator.
- Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: NONE
- Internal: All C-Path staff
- External: A wide range of officials and representatives at various levels in scientific, governmental, foundation, academic, non-governmental, and private sector organizations.
Education and Training:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in health sciences, public health, or related scientific field. An advanced degree (e.g., MS, PhD) is
- Training, experience, or certification as a Project Manager is required.
Certificates/Licenses: PMI certification required or 7 years formal project management experience.
- Professional conduct with the ability to adapt to shifting priorities, demands, and timelines.
- Proactive time management and problem solving skills.
- Ability to develop projects, adjust timelines and track progress using Microsoft Project.
- Drive the efficient completion of team and individual tasks.
- Track best practices and lessons learned, operationalize those within the team, and apply them to interactions and communications with external partners.
- Mitigate team conflict and communication issues where needed.
- Resolve or escalate issues when they arise appropriately.
- Identify opportunities for improvement and make constructive suggestions for change.
Language Ability: Excellent oral, written and virtual communication skills including fluency in health-related scientific language and writing.
Math Ability: Commensurate with Bachelor’s degree.
- Exercise sound business judgment when making decisions and adhere to external and internal policies and regulations.
- Ability to successfully anticipate issues or challenges and proactively address without being specifically directed.
- Use sound judgment when working with critical or confidential information.
- Independent problem solving required.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, MS Project.
- Regularly required to sit for long periods of time, and occasionally stand and walk about the facility.
- Regularly uses hands to operate computer equipment and other office equipment.
- Close vision required for computer usage.
- Occasionally required to stoop, kneel, and lift up to 25 pounds.
- Travel on occasion for out-of-town meetings (max 5-10%).
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION: Please submit a resume/CV and cover letter highlighting how your qualifications match the needs of the position. Indicate the position title for which you are applying in the subject line of your correspondence. Applications should be submitted to HR@c-path.org.
Critical Path Institute is an equal opportunity employer.