Seed Grants application now open
In 2023, the Flinn Foundation Seed Grants to Promote Translational Research Program will fund up to 10 research teams affiliated with an Arizona university, research institution, or health-care system that are advancing new products or services to improve patient care.
Awardees will each receive a $100,000 grant over 18 months, plus programmatic benefits. At the end of the grant period, up to two of the most successful projects may receive up to an additional $100,000 over the following year.
Each supported team will use the 18-month grant period to de-risk its product/process, refine its design, and/or acquire key validation data and stakeholder feedback—and secure, or have a well-defined plan to secure, new sources of funding to advance toward positive patient impact.
Who Should Apply
The Flinn Foundation seeks proposals from teams with innovative solutions to well-defined and compelling clinical needs in the areas of precision medicine, diagnostics, devices, therapeutics, and health-care delivery processes. Proposed projects must have reached a point where they have significant potential to turn bench results into viable products or systems impacting patients in Arizona and beyond.
This program supports teams that include both scientists and clinicians affiliated with Arizona-based research institutions and/or health-care systems. Funded projects must focus on bringing new products and services to benefit patients.
For a research team to qualify for the program:
- The principal investigator must be employed by an Arizona-based, nonprofit academic- or medical-research institution or health system;
- The proposed product and/or process must address a clearly defined, compelling clinical need; and
- The project team must have a blend of skills (e.g., scientific, clinical, engineering, business, regulatory) to meet the proposal goals.
Beyond the $100,000 grant, the program provides:
- Membership during the grant period on Arizona’s Bioscience Roadmap Steering Committee;
- Connections with research and industry experts;
- Quarterly check-ins and workshops to enhance teams’ skillsets in product development and commercialization; and
- Referrals to programs, resources, and product-development/product-launch experts.
- November 1, 2022: Application Opens
- November 16, 2022: Applicant Info Session (Register for Zoom meeting)
- November 28, 2022: Office Hours for Applicant Questions (Register)
- December 15, 2022: Office Hours (Register)
- January 18, 2023: Office Hours (Register)
- February 3, 2023: Application deadline (5:00 p.m.)
- May 10, 2023: Grantee notification