The Arizona Bioindustry Association Board of Directors elected five new directors to its leadership team at its January 2022 meeting. The AZBio Board directs the organization’s key actions and strategies as it pursues its vision of making Arizona a Top-Ten Bioscience State.
January 31, 2022 – Chandler, Ariz.
The Arizona Bioindustry Association Board of Directors elected five new directors to its leadership team at its January 2022 meeting. A key component in Arizona’s life science ecosystem, the Arizona Bioindustry Association (AZBio) is the only statewide organization exclusively focused on growing Arizona’s bioscience industry and ensuring that Arizona rises to become a top-ten bioscience state. The AZBio Board directs the organization’s key actions and strategies as it pursues its vision of making Arizona a Top-Ten Bioscience State.
“Arizona is home to one of the top emerging bioscience sectors in the United States,” stated Kristen Swingle, chairwoman of the AZBio Board of Board of Directors. “The AZBio Board leverages their combined talents and deep expertise to help our industry reach its full potential by identifying opportunities, sharing best practices, guiding our strategic actions, and supporting AZBio Members as they drive our industry’s growth. Each board member brings unique skills and talents as well as a commitment to realize AZBio’s vision by executing on AZBio’s mission.”
The five leaders elected to 3-year terms beginning in 2022 are:
- Tom Eisiminger is President & CEO of Regenesis Biomedical, a device company dedicated to improving human welfare through the research, design, manufacture, and sale of energy-based medical products and services that alleviate pain, restore health, and improve quality of life. Regenesis currently offers the Provant Therapy System, which is safe, non-drug pain management. Tom is a graduate of the U. S. Military Academy at West Point, was awarded his M.A. in National Security and Strategic Studies from the Naval War College, and his MBA from Marylhurst University in Portland, Oregon. He served our country in the Army for 20+ years and is a decorated combat veteran
- Jyotsna Ghai, PhD, Global Head, Vice President Product Development, Roche Tissue Diagnostics is an accomplished executive with over 25 years of biomedical industry experience which includes successfully leading challenging technical and high visibility strategic programs through large multi-functional teams towards the development of implantable devices, drug-device combination/cross-labeled products, in vitro diagnostics instruments and assays. In her current role as the Global Head and VP Product Development, Roche Tissue Diagnostics (Pathology & Oncology) she leads product development functions including Oncology and Personalized healthcare Solutions, Assay Research Development, Systems Engineering, Software Engineering, and Digital Pathology.
- Jeff Morton, Partner, Snell & Wilmer is the Chair of Snell & Wilmer’s Life Sciences and Medical Technology Industry Group. He also serves as a Co-Chair of the Technology Industry Group. He has over 15 years of experience representing both start-up and large enterprises for their intellectual property and commercial law needs. Jeff is retained on a regular basis to serve as external IP/technology counsel to companies around the world, and also represents numerous leading international law firms to protect their clients’ intellectual property rights in the United States.
- Kevin Parker, Vice President, Phoenix Business Operations, Exact Sciences, leads the Arizona team and is responsible for ensuring day to day operations and strategic goals for Exact Sciences’ therapy selection site are met. An executive with particularly strong skills in strategic planning, change management, integrations, analytics, program management, and Lean Six Sigma, Kevin is especially passionate about leading change within organizations to achieve operational efficiency.
- David Patience is Sr. Director, Business Development & Strategic Finance at Accelerate Diagnostics, an in vitro diagnostics company dedicated to providing solutions for the global challenge of antibiotic resistance and hospital acquired infections. The company is publicly traded on Nasdaq as AXDX. Patience is responsible for Accelerate Diagnostics’ strategic product portfolio: strategic evaluation and market analysis for organic and in-organic opportunities and leads executive collaboration with R&D, legal, strategic marketing and commercial on technical and commercial feasibility to deliver financial analysis of partnerships, mergers and acquisitions and organic programs for strategic roadmap consideration. He is responsible for corporate financing strategy and execution within capital markets (follow-on, convertible debt, ATM and PIPE transactions) and heads the company’s corporate budgeting process with key stakeholders to set annual revenue, gross margin, operating expenses, net working capital and cash burn targets for executive team and Board of Directors for ratification and execution within strategic framework. Prior to joining Accelerate Diagnostics, Patience’s career includes positions with Morgan Stanley’s Investment Banking Division; at Continental Advisors, and at Nuveen Investments.
“We are honored to have such accomplished leaders join the AZBio Board of Directors,” shared Joan Koerber-Walker, president & CEO of AZBio. “The AZBio Board has a shared commitment to our community and AZBio’s mission to support the needs of Arizona’s growing life science ecosystem and our members as they drive Arizona to become a top-ten life science sector nationally. We are not there yet, but with their leadership and support, we will achieve our goal.”
2022 AZBio Executive Committee:
- Chairwoman: Kristen Swingle, Interim President & Chief Operating Officer, Critical Path Institute (C-Path)
- Treasurer: Jeffrey Singleton, Managing Director, Tax EY
- Secretary: Jeff Vallerga, Executive Director, Strategic Alliances, Avantor
- Immediate Past Chair: Russ Yelton, President, Yelton and Associates
- President & CEO: Joan Koerber-Walker
- Jason Jardine, Partner, Knobbe Martens
- Kyle Wesley, Senior Engineering Manager | Product Design | Product Development, Medtronic
AZBio Board of Directors:
- Mara G. Aspinall, Founder, Health Catalysts; Co-founder and Managing Director, BlueStone Venture Partners LLC
- Kiran Avancha, Ph.D., R.Ph, CCRP, Office of Innovation – HonorHealth
- Joel E. Barthelemy, Chief Executive Officer, GlobalMed
- Jennifer K. Barton, Ph.D. , Director, BIO5 Institute, The University of Arizona
- Peter Bawin, MBA, Global VP, Commercial Life Sciences, CooperSurgical
- Jeff Buel, Director Government Affairs at Johnson & Johnson
- David A. Dexter, General Manager, Joint Ventures, for the Quest Diagnostics Operations in Arizona, President & CEO, Sonora Quest Laboratories, LLC, President & CEO, Laboratory Sciences of Arizona, LLC
- Thomas Eisiminger, Jr., President & CEO, Regenesis Biomedical, Inc.
- Rafael Fonseca, MD, Chief Innovation Officer, Consultant, Division of Hematology/Oncology; Getz Family Professor of Cancer; Distinguished Mayo Investigator, Mayo Clinic
- Theresa W. Fossum, D.V.M., M.S., Ph.D., DACVS, CEO of Epic Veterinary Specialists and CEO and Co-Founder at Dr. Fossum’s Pet Care
- Jerianne Gerloff, Government Affairs Director, Pfizer, Inc.
- Jyotsna Ghai, Ph.D., Global Head, Vice President Product Development, Roche Tissue Diagnostics
- MaryAnn Guerra, MBA, CEO, and founder, Aesthetics Biomedical
- Daniel J. Kasprzyk, Co-founder, President & CEO, Symple Surgical; Co-founder, President & CEO, Poba Medical
- Cathy Langham, President & CEO, Langham Logistics
- Renae Moomjian, Principal, Acacia Consultants
- Jeff Morton, Partner, Chair of Snell & Wilmer’s Life Sciences and Medical Technology Industry Group; Co-Chair of the Technology Industry Group, Snell & Wilmer
- Elliott Mufson, Ph.D., Professor, Neurobiology, Barrow Neurological Institute
- Stephen Munk, Ph.D., Deputy Director, Biodesign Institute, Arizona State University
- Mary O’Reilly, Ph.D., Vice President, Bioscience Research Programs, Flinn Foundation
- Kevin Parker, Vice President, Phoenix Business Operations, Exact Sciences
- David B. Patience, Senior Director – Head of Business Development and Corporate Development, Accelerate Diagnostics
- Galen Perry, Vice President, Marketing and Communications, Translational Genomics Research Institute (TGen) an affiliate of City of Hope
- Steve Potts, Ph.D., MBA, Cofounder & CEO, OncoMyx Therapeutics
- Alex Tessmer, MBA, Senior Manager, Ideation at BD Peripheral Intervention
- Sandra Watson, President & CEO, Arizona Commerce Authority
- Claudia Whitehead, Bioscience Healthcare Program Manager, City of Phoenix